Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine’s Day

This is for the guys. If you're a girl, read on at your own risk. You might get mad at me. You might think I'm a pig. You might not understand. But I know all the guys that have ever been in any kind of romantic relationship will get me.

So, I'm in trouble. I totally forgot that it is Valentine's Day when I rolled out of bed at 6am this morning, and now my wife is irritated. Of course, I don't really see the big deal. I'm lucky to remember to put on a shirt most mornings, and I have trouble getting my shoes on the right feet, so how is forgetting that it's Valentine's Day a big surprise worthy of irritation?

Personally, I really dislike Valentine's Day on the premise that I'm a loving, romantic guy all year long and to try and force it out of me on a single day is just not going to work well. How romantic is it really to get chocolate or flowers on Valentine's Day? They already know that it's coming. I think the romance of flowers and chocolate is defined by the amount of care and surprise that can be packaged with it, not the forcefulness of the FTD ads that say I'm a bad person for not buying those things today. Don't you agree?

It's like in Caci's post the other day about getting flowers at school because she'd been having a rough few weeks. That was romantic. Good job, Ben. The question is, would it have been so romantic if she had known about or expected the flowers? No way!

If I get flowers for my wife every day, she'll start to expect them and the romance will be lost. It would just be another bouquet of flowers; she might even get bored with them. Basically, what I'm driving at, guys is that the romance of giving flowers and gifts is defined by all the days that we didn't buy them anything. If you really want to be romantic on Valentine's, ignore your wife all day long and surprise her with flowers tomorrow.

Besides, everything will be on clearance by then anyway.

The views expressed in this article are intended solely for humorous purposes and do not reflect my deepest affection and love for my beautiful caring wife, the greatest mother and woman in the world. I really don't have any intention of ignoring her all day long not only because I love her so dearly, but also because I fear that I might catch a bad case of hypothermia if I had to sleep outside tonight.

6 comments:

Mer said...

Newman - I am shocked!!

I have given my husband fair warning about sending me flowers and taking me out to dinner or preparing dinner at home.

Flowers are waste of money (especially this time of year), every restaraunt will be packed and I fear his cooking!!

This is a "Hallmark Holiday" - an excuse to make money. Sales are down after the Thanksgiving-to-Christmas spending sprees. Why not have another excuse to promote spending & 'boost the economy'?

You thought this would upset me? Don't you remember calling me scrooge because I think Christmas is overblown on so many different levels. You actually thought I would not agree with you.

Personally, I think marketing campaigns have made this holiday (along with Christmas, anniversaries and birthdays) way too big of a deal! Women need to get over it and appreciate what our significant others do for us every day!! BTW...have all the women reading this blog done something nice for their hubby/boyfriend today?

Anonymous said...

In the words of a man I heard say from the pulpit just last week: "...Do I have a friend in the house?" The pressure behind this holiday has been manufactured and is not based on emotion; which is a nice touch of irony in that it is suppose to be a romanic day.

And why is the pressure just focused on the guys? You don't see big add campaigns or commercials saying "lets make a tee time and go play golf today" or "you like this or that, let's go do that" Its always the flowers, diamonds, and card commercials saying "guys you'd better take care of your gal this day, or else".

I want my wife to know I love her 365 days a year, not just one.

TSA

Melissa said...

I was right there with you until you made the comment that "everything will be on clearance". Shame on you!

Melissa said...

oh, and this one is for mer....yes, i did do something special for my hubby today!

Caci said...

yeah, once again I am with Lissa on this one...the whole "everything will be on clearance" line made it sound so uncaring! Shame on you, Michael. I am embarrassed to admit I am related to you! Didn't mom teach you better than that?
Seriously, Ben did do a great job last week with the flowers and card...and like you said, it was more special because of all the other days I didn't get flowers and cards! So, do something special for your wife, but not because it is on clearance!!!

Caci said...

yes, mer I did something nice for my hubby today!