Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Are My Teeth Clean?

After reading the recent posts on A. Patti's blog and on Windy's blog, I just have to bring back a memory for my childhood. While their's are stories of accidental mixtures, mine is a tale of evil genius. Well, maybe the genius part is a little generous. Decide for yourselves....

It all happened back when I was about 9 years old. That would mean Caci was probably 8, and Jeffrey was 5. Back then, Caci, Jeffrey, and I all shared the same bathroom, and we were all responsible for helping to keep it clean; maybe that was the motive. Who knows. Anyway, on the evening in question, Caci and I were instructed to go brush our teeth before bed. Just like any other night, we obeyed without question or talking back (we were the "good" kids).

As we started brushing, we both thought that the toothpaste tasted a little funny. What made it even stranger was that the tube appeared to be brand new. And of course, the suds were insane. This new toothpaste was really not going to work.

We started trying to complain to Mom who happened to also be in the room, and she just said, "Keep brushing. Your teeth can't be clean yet. The suds just means it's working."

Holding back our gag reflex we continued on. Suds like crazy. Terrible taste. What was the deal? Mom finally clued in that something was amiss when the foaming around our mouths approached levels normally only seen among rabid animals, and what do you think she did?

Of course! She asked Caci and I what we did to the toothpaste! What we did? Was she serious? Maybe we intentionally sabotaged the toothpaste so that we'd never have to brush our teeth again, and to make her feel bad we decided to use the poison on ourselves. Surely she could get us to the emergency room quickly enough to keep us from danger. Yes, our plan had been foiled. NOT!!

Caci and I were not fooled by the circumstances. It was not the first time that strange events had occurred since that little imp had been born. We blamed it on Jeffrey!

Jeffrey just smiled and explained to Mom that the toothpaste tube was really dirty. So he washed it. With soap. And then he had noticed that it was getting a little empty. So he refilled it. You guessed it. With soap from that handy-dandy refiller (the hand soap container). He just stuck the end in the tube and squirted until it was full.

Caci and I are nervous to this day about using any white toothpaste. The only way to be sure, if you ask me, is to get a colored gel.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah, Jeffrey is my hero! I love these stories!

Melissa said...

I guess I got some of that "evil" streak from my mother. I don't however remember the toothpaste incident, although I could have been involved. Or, maybe that was just my well-trained apprentice in action! Ha! Ha! We'll never tell, will we Jeff. Too bad y'all only know a handful of our many acts of mischeief!

Caci said...

um...dad I am traumatized.....Michael thanks for the memories...melissa you do love evil genius don't you??? Jeffrey did a lot of things that were initially blamed on me and Michael but now everyone knows he isn't so innocent! and yes, I always buy blue or green gel now!

Patti said...

How did all of you squeeze into the bathroom? Were Jeffrey's teeth not important enough to brush? and

HOW THE HECK DO I GET A PHOTO POSTED ON MY PERSONAL PAGE???

I have figured all of the rest of this blog stuff out on my own...I just can't figure that one out....
Someone help poor helpless AUNT PATTI....

Caci said...

You see, Jeffrey (the little imp) KNEW not to brush his teeth....and obviously Mom and dad didn't expect as much from him as they did from me and Michael.

Michael said...

They've really never held him to the same standard as us, have they, Caci?

Caci said...

No, and by golly it is about time they did! Get that boy married and having some kids!

Melissa said...

There is something to be said of a quiet personality. Why do you really think it took Jeff so long to talk when he was little. The boy was just sitting back analyzing us all! He's brilliant! I haven't seen him blogging in days either. He's waiting until just the right moment to jump in! If I know him, and I think I do, he'll come back in with a bang!!!!