Wednesday, October 01, 2008

More Customer Service Issues

Okay. So here's the deal. I haven't been receiving the best customer service lately. Maybe it's me. Regardless, I stopped by Barnes & Noble on my home last night to pick up a copy of Inkdeath that my aunt had purchased for Abbie. She paid for the book over the phone and had it ready for me to pick up at the store. Their instructions to her were for me to just drop in and pick it up at the register in the music section under the name "Newman". Here's what happened:

I went to B&N on my way home. Parked in the main lot (which B&N calls the "back" for some weird reason) and went in the store. The music section is right there, and that's where I was told that they were supposed to have the book. I went straight to the counter, and Mr. "I Skipped Algebra to Work this Evening" asked if he could help me.

I told him that I was picking up a copy of Inkdeath that had already been ordered. He told me that I needed to go to the book section. He said I could get the guys at the helpdesk to show me where I could find a copy.

"Well, I'm not really looking to buy a copy," I said, "The book has already been bought. I just need to pick it up."

"Oh. Well in that case," I was informed, "you'll need to go to the other registers to pay."

"Dude, listen," I was leaning over the counter by now. "A copy of Inkheart was bought by my aunt, she's in Oregon, this store told her that it would be here under the name 'Newman' for me to pick it up."

"Gotcha. I'm sure the customer service desk in the center of the store can tell you where it is."

"By 'here', I meant that they told me it was at the register in the music section. Will you please just check," I was getting a bit frustrated at this point.

"I don't know why they would put a book in the music section. Is it a book on tape?"

"It's not a book on tape, and I don't know why it would be here either. All I know is that she called, she paid, and they told her to pick it up at the music register."

"Well, I'll check, but it's not going to....oh, wait....huh....would you look at that....somebody put a book in my drawer. Are you 'Newman'?"

Shaking my exasperatedly, "Yeah, that's for me."

"Okay. Let me just ring this up real quick."

"ARRGGGHH!!! It's already been paid for."

"Oh. It looks like we got a credit card for this already. I just need you to sign the credit card receipt."

"Really? You do know that my aunt, in Oregon, who is certainly not me paid for this with her credit card. I don't really understand how my signature is going to be helpful here, but whatever."

I signed it and ran.

The good news is that I have the book and Reagan and Abbie are both reading their current books as fast as they can so they can get their hands on Inkdeath.

1 comment:

Mike said...

So, what is Inkdeath? What are my granddaughters reading, pray tell?