Tuesday, September 30, 2008

One of Us, One of Them

I'm so glad that I have something to write about every Tuesday again. This was a pretty good episode that answered a few of the questions presented in the premiere. Highlight below for details.

Starting with Tracy, we found out that she really isn't Niki Sanders. The body in the coffin, the dual birth certificates, and the fact that Dr. Zimmerman claims to have "created" Tracy all point to a possible clones or twins scenario. Now I wonder if there are more than two. And I wonder if Dr. Zimmerman created them with powers intentionally of if that is just a weird byproduct of the process.

Hiro was trying to get the formula back from Daphne, but failed. We're starting to see the crack in his and Ando's relationship. I'll be that Ando really does turn evil and figure out way to gain powers. It always happens in the comics. The greatest nemesis of the hero is someone that he used to be close to. Anyway, the Haitian was blocking everyone's powers while he made the trade with his half of the formula. Apparently, the assignment he was on for Angela was to retrieve her half of the formula. No thanks to Ando, Daphne ended up with that half and is presumably taking it to her employer. I can only suppose that her employer has some kind of pre-cog ability that allowed her to know when Hiro would open the safe and when Haitian would make the trade. Using that, she was able to direct Daphne to be in place at just the right moment.

Present-day Peter was still trapped in the body of the convict, and he finally learned to use the power associated with the body he was in. Some kind of voice or sound wave that knocks people over. Unfortunately for Noah, Future Peter took Present Peter to the future to see what was going to happen. I don't know about you, but I kinda like the tougher more confident Future Peter. I do still wonder, though, why Present Peter couldn't use any of his other powers while in that body. Maybe it's a limitation of the body that he's in.

Noah is working for Angela to get the Level 5 residents put back in place or killed. Her brilliant plan is to partner Noah with Sylar. I can't really figure her out. Apparently, Sylar really is her son that she gave up for adoption, and now she seems to want him to gain power. I think she intends to use him as a weapon since Nathan wouldn't take office for her and Peter won't fight for her. Anyway, Sylar let one guy escape while he was busy taking the sound wave power and whatever Noah thought of him before, it's even less now. I have to admit, though, I really did enjoy seeing Sylar jump into the role of a Federal Agent and get them inside the building. I sure hope that they are not going to try and get us to like the guy, though.

Matt is the annoying one this season. Somebody please buy the guy some face cream. The crusty dry skin is part of being the desert, but I don't really care to see much more of that. And what is the deal with his eyes changing when he put on the headphones. What's playing on them? And why can't Matt just read the African guy's mind to find out what's going on? That storyline is getting pretty lame in a hurry.

Finally, Claire wants to fight. Or more specifically, she doesn't want to feel powerless. Her real mother, for some reason, decided that the best way to teach that was to take Claire to nearly the point of death. Interestingly, while Claire was sweating and suffocating, her mother was not. Does this mean that her mother can withstand fire as well? Or does the fire that her mother creates have some special property that allows her to not feel the heat and lack of oxygen?

Needless to say, she won't be winning Mother of the Year anytime soon, and she's just pushed Claire over the edge. Claire took the Primatech box and is out hunting the same guys Noah is after. I wonder how long it will take for them to meet up.

3 comments:

Caci said...

Ok, so I was thinking that it was triplets scenario because we already know that Nikki and Jessica were twins...Jessica was already dead (from a drunken dad) and Nikki is now dead. Nikki and Tracy were born on the same day at the same hospital, so what would stop her from being the 3rd....just separated at birth? don't know...also wondered about if the doc meant he created "her" or her powers. I like FP better than PP too. What do you mean you hope they don't try to get us to like Sylar? I love Sylar...always have....he is one of my favorite characters on the show. LOVED it when he said, "you do drink decaf, don't you, Noah?"
I was wondering about Peter not being able to use his own powers while in the other body also. that's weird.
Matt's eyes changed cause he was then able to see the future, right? Just like the other guy from the other season who used to do the same thing. But, I agree that I am sick of looking at that gross face, and I was thinking that he should be able to read the other guys' mind also. I also am wondering what is playing on the headphones to get him to be able to do that, though.
Not looking forward to seeing Mohinder again next week, but Sylar looks interesting. Also, remind me what happened to Molly. Wasn't she looking for someone who was worse than the boogeyman? I can't totally remember. Was it Adam?
yeah, the whole thing with Claire's mom not suffocating with her was interesting to me too. Also, she seems bad to me....just too weird.
I am definitely enjoying this season so far, though.
It is interesting that Angela's boys' names are Peter and Gabriel. Then we also have Noah and now Nathan is starting to read the bible. Are they trying to tie in something biblical into this show or is that all coincidence?

Michael said...

Could be triplets. I don’t recall Niki and Jessica being twins. I know they were sisters, but I don’t know that I ever heard that they were twins. If they were, then they grew up together and Micah should have found all three birth records on the same day. Since he only found two, I’m thinking that triplets is unlikely.

I like Sylar, too, but I mean that I hope they aren’t trying to get us to like him as a nice guy.

Matt’s eyes changed, and that seems to indicate that he could see the future. It was the same as when Isaac, Peter, and the African paint the future. But how could Matt have that power?

While I don’t totally trust Claire’s real mom, I will say again that I think it’s unlikely Noah would have left her there if she was any kind of threat. I think she’s just not very good at being a mom.

I don’t recall what happened to Molly. The boogeyman was Sylar, and the man worse than the boogeyman was Matt’s dad (Maury). Matt put that to rest by trapping his dad in his own mind. The last we saw of Molly was in Mohinder’s lab. She was looking for Alejandro for Maya and she told Maya that he “isn’t anywhere.” That led to Maya being shot, and Sylar escaping. Molly was left standing next to Mohinder screaming.

As for Biblical names, it could be intentional. Obviously Adam could be the first of the specials and that would correspond to the Biblical Adam. Peter, Nathan, Noah, Matthew (Matt), Micah, Isaac, Eden, Daniel (Linderman), (Bob) Bishop and his daughter Elle could all be considered as Biblical names. Of course, it could all be coincidental, but it is interesting that the main premise of the show is the idea that evolution will eventually change humanity and that is at odds with the teaching of the Bible.

Caci said...

I guess you are probably right about Nikki and Jessica just being sisters. I think in my mind I always thought they were twins since they always occupied the same body and therefore "looked alike". I also thought the same thing about Micah not finding Jessica's birth record but I figured it was just because that wasn't the search he was performing. I did, however find it interesting that he knew Tracy wasn't his mom, but when Jessica would take over Nikki he never automatically knew it wasn't Nikki until Jessica did something crazy...also, thanks for the backtracking on Molly....that just seemed to be hanging in my mind...I knew that Matt's dad got caught in his own mind but for some reason I thought he was the boogeyman. I forgot about Sylar being a part of that.