Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It’s Coming

Before the comments and emails start coming in, I know you are all waiting on my recap/review of the Heroes season two premiere, and I promise it will be posted soon. Our fall season softball games are all on Monday nights, so I'm not sure how often I'm going to be able to watch the show on Monday nights (at least until November). But I am not going to quit writing about it.

In the meantime, let me tell you about the shows that I've been watching over the summer:

"Burn Notice" is easily the best show of the summer. USA network has a tendency to mess up good shows by changing their timeslot too frequently and then I can never find it to watch again. Let's hope that doesn't happen with this one. If you haven't seen it, then you won't know what I'm talking about, but does anyone else wonder how Fiona knew Michael was burned, that he would be in Miami, and that he would be at that particular hotel? Or what about his mom? Is she really as clueless as Michael thinks or is there going to be an "Alias" plot twist where we find out she's a spy, too?

"Eureka" is now in season two, and it's still pretty good. The show is getting a little formulaic, with the mystery of the week, and I'd like to see a little more complexity as it's too easy to figure out most weeks. Again, if you haven't been watching, then you can skip this part, but what's going on with Kevin and the artifact? And do you really think that Nathan is falling back in love with Allison? Or, like me, do you just figure that he's using her to suit his own nefarious goals? And what's Henry going to do now that he's locked out of the artifact project? And when is Carter going to do something about the clues he keeps finding that point to the events of the season one finale? So many questions for such a small town.

"Damages" is like any other FX show. It's dark, it's gritty, and you're not really sure that there are any good guys. That's mostly what I like about it. Besides the fact that the acting is great, the plot has become so complex that it is completely engaging. Again, there are tons of unanswered questions. Notably, who killed David? Was it Ellen? Or is she telling the truth about what happened?

I would say that I rank the shows in the order that they are listed above and that Burn Notice is probably the only one that could compete in the regular season, but they are all good. Right now, though, I'm ready to move past these and get back into Heroes, The Unit, Lost, and Jericho.

10 comments:

Caci said...

I am SOOO utterly disappointed that you still do not watch PSYCH.....it is easily better than ANY of the other shows you watched this summer...can I get an amen, Windy and Lissa?????

Michael said...

Psych is about the biggest pile of steaming dog turds that's ever been put on the air. I can't believe it's been on this long. I tried to watch one episode (on your advice) and couldn't even get through that.

The premise is utterly ridiculous. I've seen better writing from high school drama teams. And the acting is pitiful. I don't understand why anyone watches it.

Caci said...

you are a pile of steaming dog turds....and I guess it makes sense that you can't follow that kind of rapid fire humor enough to enjoy the show.

Michael said...

If it had been funny, I would have kept watching it. It was painfully cheesy and campy.

Let's see if I can do an impression:

[Psych guy (who fakes being psychic for some unknown/insanely stupid reason) notices bullet holes in a shirt (that the police have but have not noticed holes in).]

Psych guy: Wait, I'm getting a vision...It's the answer to a question....The question is....What looks like Swiss Cheese?

Police: I have no idea. What?

Psych guy: The victim. He was shot.

Police: Ooohh....Aaaahh....That's amazing. How did you know? You must be psychic.

Psych guy: Yeah, it's a gift. Too bad I can't work for the police. It would be steady pay and a good use of my skills, but it would completely ruin the premise of this show.

[Canned laugh track so the audience knows that was supposed to be funny.]

My writing is actually probably a little better than the show itself, but you get the idea.

Windy Smith said...

Well I do agree with Caci that Psyche is funny but I also think that Eureka is better! I didn't watch any of the other shows you watched this summer but I am ready for this new season of shows. Can't wait to see what they are going to do with Jericho.

Melissa said...

Oh, if we only had Michael's brilliant taste in shows,the world would be so boring....uh, I mean wonderful.

If it is sooooo bad then why did it make it to it's second season and why is everyone flocking to buy the Season One DVD set? Hmmmm, I guess the world must enjoy "steaming dog turds" more than you think!

Michael said...

I've generated more commentary by not mentioning Psych than in any posting I've made for a while. Interesting.

Mel, ask Jimmy and I'm sure that, as an IT professional, he'll agree that you can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

Windy Smith said...

Ok well I have obviously offend a certain someone by my last comment being so neutral. So I am going to do my best to get back in good graces!

Psych has some of the whitiest humor to hit the Television in years...Some might say decades...I guess if you are a person that doesn't enjoy this then you must not like to laugh much..I feel sorry for a person that can't enjoy a hysterically funny moment from time to time.

How was that Caci? I think I ripped him a new one! LOL

Now seriously, I think that you all need to download the first season of the IT crowd and then start this season. It is ridiculously funny...If you enjoy human stupidity!

Caci said...

Does LOST seriously not premiere until February??? What is up with that??? Tonight, though is Earl AND The Office. A great night of TV for those of us with taste! LOL

Windy Smith said...

They need a little more time to figure out how they are going to keep those people lost!