Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What the Crap?

There are dirty jobs, like they show on TV with Mike Rowe, and then there are crappy jobs that you don't even want to admit you have. How would you like to be the guy that designed toilets for a living?

http://www.livescience.com/history/070730_flushing_toilets.html

Apparently, there's a market for it. According to a sociologist named Quitzau (which sounds to me like something I heard while sitting on the toilet once right before I said, "Thank you, Jesus, for handrails."), we are at a crossroads in terms of dealing with other people's crap.

Amazingly, he discovered that a hole in the ground is still prevalent in parts of Asia, Europe, and Africa. I didn't even have to do study to imagine that. How could they have it any other way when they don't have running water? So, right off the bat, I know that we've got a crack team on this.

So, who really wants the job of telling the Western world that flushing toilets is bad because there are huge parts of the world with no drinking water? Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to drink out of a toilet, but I guess if you're thirsty enough….

The real problem, Quitzau reveals, is that currently toilet technology is focused on convenience, comfort, and design. Why would we want it to not be focused on that? If I'm going to be in there reading a chapter or two of my latest novel, about the only thing on my mind is convenience, comfort, and design.

I don't care what happens to all that crap after it leaves my house just as long as it leaves.

No comments: