Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Who’s the Smartest?

Nearly all of my life I've had a little sister nipping at my heels, and now that's she's once again caught up to me in numerical age for a couple of months, I thought that it would be appropriate to share this revealing news article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19373032/site/newsweek/page/0/

I didn't even have to read the full article. I just read the blurb at the top and knew that it was good reporting and good science. "A new study suggests that older children tend to have higher IQs than their younger siblings." All of us oldest children out there already knew this to be true. We're just happy to know that our younger siblings have found scientific evidence to support our claims.

Caci, are you glad that I started reading the news again?

And just to prove that I'm not only looking for articles that help me tease my sister. Take a look at this gem:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19458575/

Again, I haven't read the whole article. Actually being able to speak intelligently about what was written is not nearly as much as reading the blurb and filling in my own ideas about what the article must have said. This one says, "Some 3.3 billion people – more than half of humanity – will be living in cities by next year…" hmmmm.

Is it just me or does that make you wonder where the other half lives now? I don't think it takes much for a group of people to be considered a city. Pretty much all you need is a group of people living together, right? So, does this mean that the other half of the population lives alone? And if they do, how do they get mail?

Even out in the relative middle of nowhere my mom still has a city listed as part of her address, so would she be counted as part of the half that lives in the city because of her address or part of the half that doesn't because of her location? These are important questions. Is the other half of the world actually moving to cities or are the cities just going to get bigger and we'll give people new addresses? I really can't comprehend the pros and cons of this without understanding whether we are talking about widening our social service infrastructure or crowding our busy streets.

I should probably read this article to better understand what they are talking about, but I don't have time. I've got to go put a sign to rent out my backyard playhouse to some of the people moving in from the sticks.

4 comments:

Caci said...

"We're just happy know that our younger siblings have found scientific evidence to support our claims."
Could you clarify this statement? Your younger, dumber sibling can't understand what you are saying because it seems you may have made a mistake while typing....hmmm.....those of us that are younger seem to be a bit more careful when typing! And, if the older siblings are the ones who are smarter, why aren't they the ones who found the evidence to prove it? Also, you didn't say anything about the oldest sibling being the smartest....you just said "older siblings are smarter than younger ones"....that means I am smarter than Jeffrey and Logan for sure! LOL the one that this news is always bad for is the baby of the family, who in some ways is extremely smart because they always manage to get everything done for them!

Michael said...

I don't see where you think there is a mistake in my typing, but here goes:

We [the older siblings] are happy to know that our younger siblings have found scientific evidence to support out [the older siblings] claims [that we are the smartest].

Is that clear enough?

Anonymous said...

Michael,
You were missing the "to" between happy and know. Caci was write this time. LOL
Dad

Michael said...

Yes, I realized that in separate conversation. It's now been corrected.