Monday, June 25, 2007

It’s a Good Thing Aunt Sis Isn’t Here

Really, I think it would have been pretty cool if Aunt Sis had been able to make this trip with us, but Emma was quick to point out that our choice of restaurants this evening would not have been good for Aunt Sis. We had dinner at a seafood restaurant on the shores of the Potomac River, and Aunt Sis really can't abide seafood.

Earlier in the day, Leah and the girls headed out to Georgetown while I went to meet with one of our clients. I went to Georgetown with Leah the last time that we were in DC, and I decided that I would rather work than go back out there. As it turned out, neither Leah nor the kids saw anything that they wanted while out there, so they picked up some sandwich stuff and had a picnic near the World War II Memorial. About that time, I finished my meetings and joined them.

We went to the National Museum of Art for a little while because it was blazing hot and raining a little, and you'll see below that Abbie did her best impression of the Mercury Fountain sculpture. The kids also got to see a few great paintings and sculptures and learned a little bit of art history. I'm sure it was not nearly what Melissa could teach, but it was the best I could do.

Finally, after that we were able to rent the bikes and ride around. The kids had been wanting to do that since we got here, and they really seemed to enjoy. All except Abbie, that it. She was frustrated because she didn't feel like she could control the bike very well. I think that it was just a little too big for her. Emma had a blast, though, because we got her a tandem trailer, so she had her own handlebars and working pedals. Sydney had the best deal of all, though, a trailer. She just rode around in the shade of her canopy as if a princess in a chariot.

We were all pretty beat after that. It's been a fun, but tiring several days, and we are all looking forward to going home. We made reservations at the restaurant I described above and headed down there in the hotel shuttle. After waiting nearly half an hour past our reservation time ("It'll just be two more minutes," they kept saying), eating barely passable food, paying an outrageous bill, and putting up with barely decent service, Leah and I decided that restaurant service in the South has spoiled us. At least we have one thing to look forward to when we arrive back at home.

Speaking of stuff to look forward to, I just talked with Aunt Sis, and she is all set to pick us up from the airport tomorrow, and she mentioned that she was going to put in a pot roast before she headed out. That means we'll have dinner waiting when we get home. We're really going to miss her when she moves out.


Monday, June 25, 2007


1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love all the pics! Looks like ya'll are having a blast. What a great vacation spot...so much to do and see.

As for the art history comment, I'm sure you're doing a great job. It's been a while since I sat in on those art history classes, so I'm not sure I would be any great help.