Friday, June 08, 2007

Beach Vacation

Leah likes the beach. I prefer the woods and mountains. You can imagine how our discussions over vacationing destinations generally go. She wants to go somewhere sunny with an ocean and I want to go somewhere dirty with hiking trails. And I've always believed that I had a pretty good argument.

When you are in the woods, there are birds, plants, and woodland critters that are not the least bit interested in having you for dinner. Man is the top of the food chain there. I mean, sure, there are bears, snakes, and poisonous spiders, but they are really not all that common to see on most hiking trips and even if you do see them, they are relatively easy to avoid. On the other hand, I've always argued that the ocean is full of stuff that is waiting for you to sit still long enough to become dinner, and there are plenty of things that would just as soon skip over the waiting part. And that's not to mention the fact that the ocean itself with its riptides, undertows, crashing waves, and high saline content is ever ready to help put you on some aquatic dinner plate.

Now, though, I have an entirely new level to take this debate. According to scientists (http://www.livescience.com/health/070604_beach_ecoli.html), the beach itself is a breeding ground for E. coli. So, now, not only is the ocean and pretty much all of its inhabitants deadly, the beach leading up to the ocean is full of bacteria just sitting around waiting to make me sick. And Leah still wants to take a vacation to a sunny beach somewhere. I think we'll have to compromise and go to a city with a zoo and aquarium.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

FYI...If ya'll are going to D.C., you could always take the train to Baltimore. The Baltimore Harbor is awesome. Their Aquarium is one of the best I've ever been to, and it's right on the harbor.
As for the Zoo, I'm not to sure about, but you could always go to an Orioles game.
Also, I'm not sure exactly how far, but you could make the trip to Ocean City, MD and go to the beach. They have a cool boardwalk and fun shops and stuff. If you've never had Baltimore steamed crabs, that would be a definite "to do" also.

Michael said...

We are actually flying to Baltimore and then taking the train to DC. It's several hundred dollars cheaper to do it that way, and when you flying your own ladies basketball team, you've got to look for every way you can to save a buck.

Melissa said...

You should definitely go to the Baltimore Aquarium then. For a snack you can stop by Thrashers and get some french fries.

Jimmy's mom is from Baltimore, that's why I've been and know certain cool things to do.

Have fun! When do ya'll leave?

Caci said...

don't tell ben the bad news about the beaches....he HATES beaches and this will just give him more reason to. I want to go to HAWAII some day!@!

Caci said...

what's up? are you not reading news articles these days? I miss your posts!