Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hiro’s Heroes

With all the commentary on my last post, I thought I'd just start a new one to talk about this last episode. I will try to hide any spoiler information.

So, while I think that we should all team up and be writers for this show, since we've got a ton of good ideas between us, apparently the actual writers decided to go a much simpler route on the whole Claire storyline. The coroner just has a Jane Doe, so the parents aren't notified and the phone conveniently rings at just the right moment so no one sees Claire wake up. It's so easy and simple, why didn't we think of that?

Of course next week, she'll be in the hospital. As a result of the car wreck? And her parents (at least Mr. Bennett) know that she's there. Could also be that he takes her to the same place he's keeping officer Parkman.

The biggest things from this week, though, were getting to see Nikki kick some tail, Peter meeting with Mohinder, and Hiro (and his samurai sword) contacting Peter from the future.

So now we know that Nikki just has some sort of crazy dual personality. I guess she's more like the Incredible Hulk. It was really pretty satisfying to finally see it first-hand, though, instead of continuing to guess about it. Did anyone else notice that she had the symbol on her shoulder? But it appeared to be gone when Mr. Bennett was standing over the bed while the two were sleeping. Did I just miss it in the second scene, or is it only there when her alter ego takes over?

We also know that my theory about Mohinder's dad is incorrect. Windy already brought up a good point about that, and this week Mohinder himself confirmed that he saw the body and now has the ashes. I suppose it could have all been a ruse, but I'll go along with it for now. That put Peter in an interesting situation of trying to get Mohinder to believe in his dad's work, and Peter did confirm my theory that his power is not flight but mimicry. Ask Caci, I shared that one with her last week. Too bad they didn't get to meet with Isaac, but I did catch the fact that Peter drew the future after meeting with Isaac when Peter commented on it. I had missed that detail before. Of course, Peter didn't need heroin to draw the future, so maybe Isaac doesn't either. Maybe he just needs to learn to "free your mind, Neo." Oops, wrong story. I can't really see how NBC can continue to have a heroin addict as a hero; that really goes against the whole "the more you know" campaign.

Finally, Hiro, my favorite character so far. When time stopped on the train, I was really confused. Peter should only be able to do that when around Hiro, so it seemed impossible at first since Hiro was in Las Vegas, but I was overlooking the fact that Hiro can also move through time. It was so cool when he came into the train car, though, with a samurai sword on his back (at least that what it LOOKED LIKE to me) and speaking perfect English. He seemed so much more calm, experienced and confident, a very nice touch for the character. But what scar will Peter get? And why did he come to Peter? And why the heck is he wearing a sword??

Of course, I did love the scenes of Hiro and Ando in the Montecito (a little nod to "Las Vegas"). What were they thinking changing that guy's cards? That was running a little close to the edge. It would've been really cool to have a cameo of Danny and Mike throwing them out, though.

Overall, another great episode. I can't wait to see next week. I'm definitely hooked on this stuff!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

It was a great show last night! I did notice the symbol on the "other" Nikki (Frikki) as Jimmy calls her. What is the symbol? Has it been shown in previous shows? If so, I missed that one.
I like Hiro too! I can't wait to see how he changes from an excited, anxious, slightly goofy guy to a very calm, cool and collected warrior type guy. Very interesting. I can't help but think that he will be the one that will give Peter the future scar....maybe with that sword of his. I guess we'll have to wait. As for the unknown black guy....who the heck is he. They have put off introducing his character for two shows now. I would like a little bit more info on him. Maybe he is Sylar. Again, we'll just have to wait! Here's a crazy thought for y'all. What about Mohinder's little female friend. Has anyone else thought of the possibility of her being involved in some other way than the sweet girl that brought the older professor (mohinder's dad)food on a regular basis. I have to say it seems a bit strange that Mohinder, being the questionable guy he is, to have welcomed her in on all the details. Just a thought. I'll leave you with that.

Michael said...

Yes. The symbol has been in every episode so far. Notable instances have been: on Claire's schoolbook, hidden in the spaces between the data on Dr. Suresh Sr.'s usb drive, in the pool at the house where officer Parkman was introduced, in the paintings at Isacc's when Hiro was in the future, on Nikki's shoulder, and the necklace that the mysterious black man wears.

I agree that we all want to know who that black guy is. Does he have any powers? Mr. Bennett seemed to allude to him having some sort of power to block Parkman's telepathy, but I may have misunderstood.

And I'm with you, Mel, on Suresh's neighbor. I was suspicious of her conveniently appearing when she did. I've been thinking all along that she's a plant to lure Mohinder into a false sense of security.

Melissa said...

Ok, so I feel like a dork for not seeing the symbol until last night. Did you really notice them at all those different points, or did you read that somewhere? Don't lie either Michael, because I'm starting to think you have a photographic memory. Can you predict the future, or fly too?

Michael said...

Would I lie to you, Mel? :)

Seriously, Leah and I picked up on it in the second episode. It was cool because I was in OR, so she asked me about it before I got to see that episode and I still had time to catch a reairing of the pilot on USA before the second one started. I've pointed some of the occurences out to her, she's pointed some our to me, and I'm sure there's probably more that we haven't caught.

Caci said...

Ok! Last night was really good! I didn't notice the symbols at first either, Lissa and I definitely haven't noticed as many as Michael, but I did notice it on Frikki's shoulder. I also got the impression that weird black dude (should we call him African American to be politically correct?) had the ability to block policerman's telepathy also. I have been suspicious of the neighbor girl for a few episodes now (ask Windy), and I am not sure what to think about cheerleader's dad. I did notice that she seems to be in the hospital next week and dad wants her to "trust him". When heroine addict shot up he saw cheerleader in that arena at school being chased by a big black shadow....Sylar? I thought it was going to happen in last night's episode, but instead she went off with jerk face date raper. What a loser! I LOVE the character Hiro! I thought it pretty stupid to just switch cards also, he should have reached in the deck and gave him a whole new hand that would beat the other one. Anyway, does politician's brother get the scar from the explosion? Also, when Hiro went to New York looking for heroine addict, heroine addict was on the floor of his apartment with the top of his head cut off, Hiro got arrested for killing him, then the explosion came. Was he going forward in time, then traveled back in time? Is heroine addict going to die soon? Was he visiting a different artist? All of that has had me a bit confused, so someone please clear me up on that whole thing. Ok, I think that is it for now! Hope you could follow that! (I only used one real character's name, and one fictitious name)

Melissa said...

Caci, Caci, Caci....are you not paying attention.
Hiro, did travel through time when he was in heroine addicts apartment. Remember he looked at the newspaper and it said November 5th or something, but when he left Japan it was only early October.. The explosion did happen that day but he was able to stop time again and go back to the present.
I have to say I don't think Peter (mimicry man) would have gotten the scar in the explosion because I don't see how anyone would have lived through a nuclear attack, but that's just me. Maybe "special" people can. I think with all the knowledge of the explosion from Hiro and Issac that it will have to be prevented somehow. I don't think it will happen. Isn't that what they're destined to do....save the world?

Windy Smith said...

I want to know what the cheerleaders dad meant when he said to the black man "they are further along than we thought" while the cop with powers was in that hospital. It is some sort of government experiment or something like "Dark Angel" with all of the Special People having a tatoo of that symbol??

Melissa said...

i think that the cheerleader's dad is trying to create a monster so to speak. i think the black dude has the ability to transfer other people's powers to himself. i think the dad is trying to make him the ultimate hero.
that's what i think.

Michael said...

ooh..cool theory, Mel. I like it.

Caci said...

thanks Lissa for the info. I forgot about the newspaper and all, but I felt that he had traveled in time I just wanted to be sure that it was heroine addict's apartment he was in. Also, don't scream at me......but who is Isaac? Remember I am not good at names. So, you said he knows about the explosion too....is he heroine addict? That is what I am thinking, also I missed the part where Peter painted the future and Ben has deleted all of our episodes so I can't go back and watch them again. SOB SOB, I need to watch them again!!!!!

Michael said...

I won't scream at you. Isaac is the heroin addict, and Hiro was in his apartment in the future. He saw Isaac dead just before the bomb went off.

Peter didn't paint the future, he just drew it. After he visited with Isaac, he doodled a stick figure drawing of himself and Nathan talking and Peter was hovering in the air. I didn't make the connection to Isaac because he had seen Isaac and then tried to fly and then went to the hospital and then made the doodling; it was really disconnected. But Peter made the connection in his dialog with Mohinder in the last episode, so I guess it was a valid instance of his power.

Caci said...

ok, yeah I remember the drawing in the hospital, cause he hid it as soon as his brother came in the room. I thought he was drawing what he remembered happening...I didn't connect it with him being around Isaac either. (I am getting better at the names the longer we blog about it!!) Also, who is cutting the people's heads off and where are they taking their brains? Does cheerleader girl's dad have them? Are they studying them or using them to get powers from them? If that's the case why don't they just kill policerman and take his brain? Just some wonderings I have....