Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Leonardo's Conspiracy

At the risk of being reviled by my family, I have to bring up this national debate and weigh in with some thoughts of my own. The DaVinci Code movie premieres later this week and brings a huge debate along with it. I must admit before I go any further that I have not read the book; I only have an idea of what is about based on news articles that I have read over the past several years. So now for my semi-informed, but highly intelligent analysis of the situation (if Dr. Phil can be a real doc, then I can be a subject matter expert on a book I haven't read).

The first thing that struck me as odd about this book is that Dan Brown was sued by the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail when his book The DaVinci Code became a hot item. Now, why is this odd? Well...he was being sued basically for plagiarism. Ultimately the courts ruled that it could not be plagiarism since Holy Blood, Holy Grail is supposed to be a factual account of history and The DaVinci Code just builds a story around those historical facts. It would be like writing a biography on Lincoln and then suing someone for making the assisination of Lincoln an element of their story. Nobody can steal that idea....it an historical fact. So, if the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail really believed that their writing was historical fact, why sue Dan Brown for writing a fictional story around those historical events?

Next up, the conspiracy theory. Like I said before, I haven't read the book, so I don't know the details of the conspiracy that's revealed by the story, but doesn't this seem like our generation's Kennedy assasination or Elvis abduction? Americans (maybe just people) love a good conspiracy theory. Despite the fact that a good conspiracy never really holds together (e.g. Nixon and Watergate), somebody will crack and the whole thing will fall apart. For whatever reason, though, we want to believe that it is possible that a conspiracy spanning hundreds of years has pulled the wool over the eyes of millions of people and only just recently have we been granted access to the secret by Mr. Brown.

If you haven't been in a bookstore lately, you should drop by your local Barnes and Noble to get an idea of our love for a good conspiracy. At the one by my house, they have several tables covered with books on the truth about Jesus, the realy Bible, the secret life of the early church, etc. Several tables. People are eating this stuff up, but is anyone asking the first question that came to my mind? Some of these books say Jesus is really a myth, some say He was just a normal guy that had a wife and kids, some say He was sort of the Son of God, etc. My question is, how can all of these different opinions be the revelation of a conspiracy covered up by the church?

And don't even get me started on the history of the church. We all know that the Roman Catholic church has its share of dark history. The Crusades. The Inquisition. And as a result of those incidents there have been plenty of uprising against the church with the Reformation being the most famous. Are any of these conspiracy theorists really going to try and convince us that no one was able to uncover this grisly conspiracy at a time when a huge popluation of Europe was looking for ammunition against the church, but that they've been able to uncover it in a time when the cover up should be a million times easier to accomplish?

I could go on and on, but for now let the comments roll in....

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Michael, my only comment is that I did read the book and it was a great "story"! Story, as in fictional. My faith in Jesus Christ being the Son of God and "My" Savior was not swayed in reading the book at all. Anyone that professes to be a Christian, knowing full well that the book is in fact "fictional" and decides to believe the theories of Dan Brown after reading....well, let me just say....maybe they don't really know what to believe. I'll just end of this note. If you want to read a good fiction novel check it out.....if you want the facts....the truth about Jesus....pick up the Bible!

Caci said...

Michael, I have picked the book up and put it down several times. Part of me wants to read it and part of me doesn't want to give my support to this guy's story. Then part of me says, "Well you support Six Flags and they have gay day." Anyway, you know what I mean about the thoughts swirling. The most I have gathered about the story (from hearing others) is that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had a daughter with her. I presume you got that much also and maybe more. I agree with you completely on what you say about the "conspiracies" and them being unknown to us for so many years! That's what I love about you---your sarcasm mixed with (some) intelligence!!! hahaha....you ARE my FAVORITE OLDER brother!

Michael said...

Good news. I'll soon be able to speak with a little more intelligence on this subject.

The staff at our church is going to have lunch, see the movie, and follow up with a discussion on Monday. Spouses are invited, so I'll be there with Leah. Look for a follow-up post afterward.

Melissa said...

I think mostly people (Christians) are worried that all the hype of the movie is gonna keep people from believing the "Truth" when in fact, there are a lot of other things in this world of ours that are keeping these so called "unsaved" people from coming to Christ. We can waste our time trying to stand against a massive amount of "issues" includding The Davinci Code, or we can get out there and witness to these people. I'm gonna choose the latter.

Caci said...

I agree with you, Lissa. Michael, I am glad you will be able to speak with a little more intelligence on the subject....but remember movies aren't always the same (or sometimes even close) to the book. Ben said he heard it has been banned in Thailand (which by the way is Buddhist) unless they make some major changes to the movie, because they said it was too offensive to the body of Christ. Go figure. Still it is not something that I am extremely interested in yet, but then again Gone With the Wind is still my favorite movie of all time! I am sure that if I read it or saw it I would enjoy it for its entertainment value. I do like a good "story"....I just don't have time to read anymore, and when I do it is the B_I_B_L_E. Yes that's the book for me. I stand upon the word of God...the B-I-B-L-E! Love ya!!! (SMILES)