Monday, April 03, 2006

Wax On....Wax Off

During 180 (high school group at church) last night we watched a clip of Karate Kid. You all remember the scene where Daniel gets fed up with doing all of Mr. Miyagi's chores and starts yelling about how he's supposed to be learning karate. Then Mr. Miyagi asks Daniel to show him wax on and wax off. At the end of the scene Daniel is left amazed that he's been training his body to do all of these martial arts moves and not realizing it. In case you're concerned, we did tie the clip to a theological point, but that's beside the point of this post.

I only had four guys there last night, and after we broke into small groups, two of them started talking about how they do martial arts and how Karate Kid was all wrong, blah, blah, blah. Now, I know Jeffrey and John are going to agree with me here: Karate Kid and anything with Chuck Norris in it are gospel for young ninjas in training. And these guys were talking smack about wax on, wax off, paint the fence, paint the house, sand the floor, and the crane kick which we all know is unstoppable when done correctly. It was time for them to put their money where their mouth is.

I said, "Hey, if you're a martial arts expert, let's see some moves. We can do a little demo right here." The two who had been talking about their training gladly agreed, but the other two weren't so sure about being the crash dummies. They said something to me along the lines of, "This was your bright idea, you be the punching bag." So, went to the center of the room.

The first guy wanted to show us some Aikido. That's the martial art that Steven Segal mostly uses, if you didn't already know, and it's a combination of hand locks and throws. Anyway, he asked me to grab him from behind with one arm and grab his wrist with the other. I'm still not sure why I wanted to grab his wrist because I'm thinking that in a dark alley I'd rather be grabbing his wallet, but this was a demo so I played along. He got out of the hold and pushed me around the room....sort of. He kind of forgot, actually, how to really do the technique.

Next guy decided that he'd show us a cool throw that he had learned. Now, please note that I had not shared with them my experience with Judo. Again, he staged the scene, I grab his shirt and arm from the front in a classic Judo grip and he executed a poor attempt at a hip throw that left him straining to get me over and left me standing. It was difficult to forget my training, and when he tried again I "accidentally" pivoted on the balls of my feet and turned his momentum into a leg throw in my favor. Whoops! He was on his back.

It was right about this moment that they became suspicious that maybe I had done more than just study under Mr. Miyagi and Master Norris, and I confessed to watching a few Steven Segal and Jackie Chan movies and sneaking in a couple of Big Trouble in Little China viewings: "It's all in the reflexes."

Not really. I told them about my Judo training, and I told them that next time they should let me fight back and we'd see what they were really made of. If they still beat me up, then I'll introduce them to the wrath of my ninja brotherhood, or at least to my two brothers, the Tae Kwon Do masters.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Show off! Not only at church, but with your new site. Just trying to rub it in our faces the things that can be done to make your site unique. Well, we don't care. We're happy with the "bare bones" stuff!

Windy Smith said...

What??? YOu mean there is something other than the crane kick that we need to know?? You have to teach those guys to respect the classics!!

Michael said...

hehe...my posts were getting so long, I had to figure a way to make it more manageable. You can read the basics of what I did here.

There's a different article here, but the technique it describes requires a change to the way you post, so I didn't like it as much.

And don't think I haven't noticed how many of you out there in blogland reorganized your links list after I did, added names of commenters to your post footers, and I'm sure some of you will start rolling up your posts, too. Everybody wants to be like Mike! :)

Caci said...

WHATEVER! Um, I got you down several times with the crane kick. I still use it to this day on all my opponents. In the classroom when the students come my way I wax on wax off and paint the fence daily. It is all good. I hope they understand that.

Windy Smith said...

Michael, I think you and I are the only ones that have added the names of commenters to our post footers. Lets not get anyone else to much credit!! hehehe

Michael said...

I did notice yours first Windy, but now Caci's got it going, too.

Patti said...

Melissa, Michael only happened upon how to "roll up posts" while he was trying to figure out how to get my archives to work properly. He had time today while getting paid to be a "Professional IT" to do some research. While researching the archives problem, he stumbled upon this "rollup idea". Pretty cool, I guess if you want your page to be extremely impersonal....I don't think I'll add any "roll ups" to my page. But I might add some of his other cool ideas to my page as I have time to figure them out.

Michael said...

I must admit that I did come across this idea while trying to help out Aunt Patti. And I must also admit that I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. I'm putting a new post on the playland to find out how you all like it there...since it's a team site, we should all get to provide input on the look and feel.

Michael said...

Here's what I'm thinking now. The posts will be shown by default, but visitors can click the titles to roll them up if you want.

Caci said...

yeah, I am so glad Michael is getting paid while he is learning all these new things!

Patti said...

Now, you are using your giftedness.
Very cool to be able to roll em up on demand. Sorta gives a person a little power and control. That's the kind of idea that I expect from someone with some of the same blood...Makes me wonder what's next. First, we could just roll em all up. Now, we can pick and choose the ones we want to roll up. What else can you make them do? Would you consider adding a little music so we can make them "Rock and Roll" if we want them to?

Michael said...

hehehe...I'm glad you like, and I'm glad to know that you're welcoming me back into the bloodline. It was always there, it just took me a little bit to get it right. :)

There is actually a way to associate music to your posts, but I think it's kind of corny, so you won't be seeing that here.