Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's Hard Being Me


I don't know what's going on with the colors in this graphic. It didn't look like this when I opened the file on my desktop. Anyway, you knew I was going to figure out a way to get an Aggie icon on my site at some point, and trust me, there are plenty more in store for the future. That's not the point of this post, though.

You all know me fairly well, so I know that it is going to come as a surprise to you when I tell you that I have a few opinions on how things should be done. And I'm sure that most of you (except Caci) will agree that I don't share my opinion unless I'm relatively sure that I know what I'm talking about. Of course, being like my mother and grandfather and most of the rest of my family, I know that my way is better (I won't even go into the issues that arise when everyone your related is "right"; you all know what that's like), so I also have this issue with sitting around watching things go wrong.

Now, one of the things about our family is that we all know how to play baseball and softball. Some of us have great talent for the game and some of us don't; some of us really enjoy playing the game and some of us don't, but we all understand it. We all know the rules from a young age. We've all been drilled on what to do when the ball is hit so many times that we almost feel like we were born with the knowledge, and when we watch our kids practice or play and they're not learning how to play their position correctly we get frustrated. So I'm justified because you would all do the same thing in my shoes.

Reagan's team has some girls that could be really good ball players. They have several great batters and a few really good fielders. So why can't they figure out what to do with the ball when they are playing defense? As I watched their practices, I started to realize that most of the girls have no idea what their position does. They don't know where to stand; they don't know where to move when the ball is hit; they don't know how to work different scenarios; and they don't know how to cover bases to protect against a steal. So, at the last practice, I suggested to the coach that she work with them on these things, and she started to.

In her defense, though, our pitcher really needed some one-on-one work so the coach took her to the side to help with that. The assistant coach was pitching batting practice, and the girls in the field were mostly goofing off. Kind of like that photo of Andy on the Hatcher blog. I just had to help. This was Tuesday, and we're playing one of the best teams of the season tonight. We just can't go out on the field looking like we don't know what's going on, so I grabbed my glove and asked the assistant if he wanted some help shagging balls. He agreed.

Yes! I was on the field. My Templin genes kicked in, and I started moving the girls into their correct positions. We started talking about what to do when the ball was hit: where to move, where to throw, what to do with runners on base, etc. It wasn't enough to teach habits, but it's a start. I'm not sure how we'll do tonight, but I hope that they remember a little bit of what we talked about Tuesday night.

By the way, after practice, the coach, assistant and I all talked about the practice and that it had worked well to have someone else available to help, so don't be picturing me as mean and arrogant. I only do that to Caci. I was just helpful.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I completely understand the aggravation you must feel. I'm not looking forward to watching my girls at any type of competitive sport. I haven't learned how to keep my mouth shut yet. I'm sure it will just take some time for them to adjust to all the ends and outs of the game. One thing that I would always do when playing was quiz myself. Based on who was on base, how many outs (if any), scoring postions and such; would determine "my" next move. I would always take into consideration all these factors and then ask myself, "Ok, what am I gonna do if the ball is hit to me?". So before the next hitter would come up to the plate I would analyze then ask, and I would know just what to do as soon as she hit the ball. That always helped me. Also, as an outfielder it helped when one of the infielders would let turn around after each play and remind us how many outs. Based on this information we would always know what to do. What position do your girls play?
They just need to know that everytime the ball is hit every one on the team should "move" to somewhere. They just need to know and practice, practice, practice!

Michael said...

Same here. That's how we were taught to do it. Watch the batter, anticipate his hit, and plan what your actions are going to be. Leah makes fun of me, but you've got to have a plan.

Reagan and Abbie both have been playing center field. Abbie also played shortstop some last season. This is Reagan's first season, so she needs a little more practice before she'll be ready for the infield.

Melissa said...

Most important things for a center fielder is "backin' up"! They have to do a lot of running back and forth, plus they have to be ready to cover 2nd base if needed. My coach would always tell us not to "grow roots" out there. Oh, and another thing, an outfielders first step is always "backward". A good way to remember this is to have them stand with one of their feet behind them so that they have to take the first step back. It can be hard to judge where the ball is going, but it is easier to come "up" on the ball than run "back" to get it. Have them practice throwing to second, third and home so they can get there arm strength up. Another thing to know is "never" throw behind a runner. Always anticipate the fact that they are going to steal the next base. The chances of an outfielder getting a runner out is slim. Mostly, our job is to get the ball back in the infield. The general rule is when the ball is hit to the outfield with no one on base and you don't fumble around with it or miss it, throw it to 2nd. If there is a runner on first and the ball is hit to you and you successfully retrieve it, throw it to 3rd. You get the pattern here. These are just a few secrets I've learned in the many years I played. I love it, and wish I was still in highschool playing.

Patti said...

First things first...Alley did not get pregnant the last time I bred her, but I will continue to try. Tonka is for sell. I had him neutered at 6 months. If anyone is interested I can provide more details and photos. Uncle Robert has a new litter of puppies that are about a week old..6 in all, 2 males...I think!

Now...Just remember that the girls are still young and many of them have not had any coaching. Don't try to teach them too much all at once. Work on a couple of things at a time. Too many things to think about also causes them to be confused and not know what to do.

Melissa...I hadn't learned how to keep my mouth shut when Windy joined her first softball team around the age of 6. Windy was playing an infield position and the coach was making the girls throw underhanded to first base. I was not happy because Windy had been able to throw a ball for quite some time. I asked the coach about it. He said many of them couldn't make the throw and at least it would roll to the base. I said, "yeah, if the ball even goes in that direction when they try to throw it underhanded". I told him they had to learn to throw it overhanded sometime and I thought that day was the day to start teaching them. He said, "Would you like to be the Coach?" Jerk

Michael said...

hehe..Mel, I can tell you're ready to get this going for your kids. :)

And Aunt Patti, I'll let the guys here know about Tonka. Can I give them your email if they are interested in getting more info?

Finally, I'm trying to not give them too much. For Reagan and Abbie, the main thing we focus on right now is for them make contact when batting and to keep the ball in front of them in the field. Several of the girls on Reagan's team, though, have been playing for 3 or 4 seasons, though, so they have the catching and throwing piece down they need to get to the next level of knowing how to play their position. It's definitely a balance, though, because you don't always realize how much there is to know until you try to tell someone else. I had to work really this last practice to only focus on one or two big things and not get them bogged down in details.

Melissa said...

Is is really that obvious that I'm ready for the "competitive sports" days? Oh, well! I realize I just filled up my designated amount of "comment" space on all the techniques and secrets to successful "outfielding". It probably would be overwelming to girls at that age. Sorry for the information overload!
As for the "jerk" coach that asked you if you wanted to coach Aunt Patti, I would have said, "Sure. I thought you'd never ask!"

Windy Smith said...

Oh My Goodness!!!! People, They are just children. Don't live vicariously through them. Let them play the best they can and you go out and join your own team. hehe Trust me don't push and push especially when they get older because it will cause big problems!! Just ask my mom. I guess the only thing good I took from all the COACHING I got was that I am totally oppostie now with my kids. I help don't get me wrong but I don't push. Make sure you don't cross the line.

Patti said...

Michael, yes you can give them my email address if they are interested.

Melissa, believe me, I had a coach's cap and shirt shortly there after.

Caci said...

Ok, ok....Michael, I know I can always count on you being arrogant around me, but that is just your defense mechanism when you know I am better at something or I am right and you are wrong. Now that we have that established, Melissa when your girls or Andy play against a tee-ball team where the coach believes in running all the players in simply because your team overthrew or can't get the ball to the pitcher, you will be mad. I guarantee it! It is so maddening to see coaches who aren't interested in teaching the game, they are only interested in getting the kids to keep running. Anyway, it is also frustrating when they don't schedule any Sat. games and the weekday games don't start until 7:45 and your child (who is normally in bed by 8:30) is still out on the ball field at 9:30 and they want to start a new inning because there is still 5 min. on the clock. I am all for competition, but not on a Monday night at 9:30 with 7 year olds! I know a Mom did not make the schedule!

Michael said...

Wow! I guess I really hit on something for everyone here. I haven't seen this much passion on very many blog posts. Cool!

Windy, I'm trying not to push too hard. It's hard, but Leah is a good balance on that since she is much more in the "have fun" camp rather than the "have fun winning" camp like most of us. :)

Mel, WOW! I'm glad I posted this and gave you a place to release some pent up competitive juices.

Caci, I totally agree on the game times. We like to go to the games as a family. Just like when we were kids. I had to watch you play, you had to watch me play. But starting a 90 minute game at 8pm is very hard on everyone.

Finally, Reagan's team lost last night, but they played really well. The team they played against is a select 8 & under team that is playing in the 10 & under division because they wanted some competition, and they are very good. We caught a couple of fly balls, got several out at first, a few out at the plate, and made a few attempts to stop a steal. In the end, I'm proud of Reagan, who made two great stops and got walked twice, and her whole team.

Final score: 7-5.