Thursday, August 16, 2007

Big Brother’s Watching

I ran across an article that seemed too absurd to really be entirely true, so I did a little research. Much to my surprise, the original article that I read is, in fact, based entirely in truth. I'll share the articles that I've found and some of my own thoughts and then you let decide what you think about this.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2006/press_release_0684.shtm - Press Release from TSA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20298840/site/newsweek/page/0/ - Newsweek commentary (original article I read)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/27/AR2006102701478.html - Washington Post commentary

The Newsweek and Washington Post commentaries have opposing views on the situation, so you should probably read them both to form your own opinion.

The basics of the situation is the TSA is recruiting, hiring, and placing "Behavior Detection Officers" (has a distinctly Orwellian ring, doesn't it?) in airports around the country. As a part of the TSA's Screening Passengers by Observational Techniques (SPOT) program, these employees have the task of flagging anyone that looks suspicious and pulling them aside for questioning.

Now that I know about this program, I think that I'd like to have some fun with it. As I stand in line at the airport wondering why I can't take a bottle of water through security, but I can take a bladder full of water that I just chugged even though it's not in a clear bag, I might just have to start making funny faces; just to see if they can discern my true intentions or not.

Imagine standing in line with a pained look on your face. Most people wouldn't notice, but the BDO is alert and hops right over to you. "Where are you going today, sir?" they ask. Right about that time, you let loose a fart that's been building since you left your house.

"Oops. Sorry about that guys. I didn't think I could take lethal gas through the security checkpoint with me."

No comments: