Tuesday, May 01, 2007

String Theory

WOW!! I was completely blown away by last night's episode. It was definitely, without a doubt, the best episode yet. Highlight below to read more:

Hiro and Hiro. I love future Hiro. He's certain of what he needs to do and powerful enough to get it done. He lost his innocence when Ando died, and he's been working for years to get it back by changing the timeline. Let's set aside the technical questions like how he's able to keep an apartment with all of these strings when he keeps going back in time to change things. I mean, wouldn't the ownership of the apartment and the things that he's done in the future change when the past changes? Unless you accept the theory that there are an infinite number of universes playing out every possible result of every possible decision and that Hiro can not only jump through time and space but that he can also jump between these universes, it doesn't really make much sense. Regardless of that, though, I think it was touching for Peter to tell Ando that Hiro has been doing all of this to save his friend.

Peter is married to Niki. What a man! I loved the fact that Jessica is apparently dead, but I wonder how that happened. How did she get rid of Jessica, and why? Of course, the part I loved the most is that she was only a bit player in the whole episode. Peter, though, what a cool dude. He's gotten control of his power and become a serious force to reckon with. My favorite part was when he stopped time and rescued Hiro and Ando from Parkman. What's the deal with the scar on his face, though? I had assumed that the scar future Hiro referred to when he met Peter on the subway was from when Sylar tried to take his powers; apparently, that assumption was incorrect.

Matt is working for Homeland Security. Actually, Matt seems to be in charge of Homeland Security. So, my question here is, wouldn't he have to talk directly to the President from time to time? And if so, how does he not know the big secret? How does he not know that Nathan is really dead?

Nathan is obviously dead. Sylar took his power and the power of the office. How far back did that happen? Was Nathan elected President and then killed by Sylar, or was it actually Sylar who was elected to the office? And does Linderman know? Linderman wants to change the world, and he wants Nathan to be elected to make that happen. He has a copy of the "Nathan in the White House" painting, and he wants events to unfold that way. At the same time, he appears to be involved in HRG's company and the orders given from the company are that Sylar is not to be killed. I might be reaching, but do you think it's possible that Linderman may know that Nathan will never really be President? Is it possible that Linderman knows it's an illusion? If so, then it could answer the biggest question of the night:

If the point of saving Claire was so that Sylar couldn't have her power and heal himself when Hiro attacks, then how can Sylar and Claire both be alive and the bomb have still gone off? Of course, we know that the bomb was actually Peter, so that part of the question is easily resolved, but Hiro specifically said that he stabbed Sylar and that he had healed because he had Claire's power. Well, that just doesn't make sense since Claire is still alive. When you throw Linderman in the equation, though, it makes a little more sense. Linderman was able to heal that plant without touching it, so what if he can do the same for people. Hiro stabs Sylar to try and stop the bomb, which we know is the wrong move for stopping the bomb, but a good move overall. Linderman wants Sylar to be in the White House using the illusion of Nathan Petrelli, though, so when Hiro stabs Sylar, Linderman heals him and Hiro believes that Sylar healed himself using Claire's power. At that point, Hiro goes back in time and tells Peter to save Claire from Sylar believing that that will stop the bomb, but not knowing that it will make no difference.

When Peter and Sylar finally meet in the halls while trying to rescue present Hiro, I thought it was interesting that Peter has Ted's power and Sylar has some other power. Peter's hands turned orange, like Ted's do when he's charging up, and Sylar's hands turned blue. What power was Sylar using, and where did it come from? Either way, I wish we could have seen the fight rather that just flashes of light from behind a closed door.

HRG is running an underground railroad for mutants or heroes or whatever you want to call them. I'm sure glad that he turned out to be a good guy, and that he finally found Claire again and his helping her. It was also nice to see Hana Gitelman working with him to aid the refugees. At present, she's trying to stop him, but apparently something happens down the line to change her mind. I thought it was equally interesting that Parkman knows about Claire and that Parkman has a kid with special abilities. I wonder what his child can do. And I wonder why his wife left.

3 comments:

Caci said...

Ok.....future Hiro scares present Hiro! How hilarious (he said, "I scare me.") I am not sure about a lot of things from this episode. First, Hiro said that Nikki was Peter's girlfriend, not his wife, so where did you get that they were married? Maybe I missed something. Also, I am not sure why Sylar is letting so many people with powers live. Right now he seems so intent on taking everyone's powers and just killing them, but he has allowed Matt at least to stay alive and keep his powers. Is it because he hopes it will help him find Claire? But wouldn't he just figure that if he took that power of being able to read people's minds and added it to his other abilities that he could find her even quicker? I thought that the way he turned white in the fight with Peter was like when Ted thought about burning bright not hot. So, I actually thought he was also using Ted's powers, just differently. But, I could most certainly be wrong. I was not happy to see that HRG and the other girl....who I thought was the shape shifting girl, but you said was Hana Gitelman, get killed. I haven't seen Hana in so many episodes I guess I forgot what she looks like. I thought the girl helping him was the one who can take on anyone's appearance. I was glad when Mohinder rendered the Haitian helpless and maybe even killed him? Who was the lady Nathan/Sylar referred to that he met and she gave him all the power? He said a lady's name. Was it Nathan's mom? I am not sure who he was referring to. Peter said to Nikki that D.L. was gone, and it seemed that Hiro was asking HRG to locate D.L., so I assumed he was being taken care of by HRG, but Sylar used D.L.'s power, so did he kill him also? Too many things to think about.....Great episode over all!

Michael said...

Maybe Niki and Peter are not married. I don’t know where I got that from.
I agree with you about Sylar. It seems weird that he would let some live and that he would want to just have mass killings of others. I would have thought that he would be more interested in taking everyone’s powers.
Maybe you’re right about the reason Sylar turned white. Maybe they both have his powers.
Hana Gitelman is the girl that was with HRG. The “shape shifter” is Candice.
Nathan/Sylar referred to Candice as the lady that helped him gain all of his power because she gave him the ability to create shape shifting illusions. It was not Nathan’s mom.
D.L. was gone. Sylar used D.L.’s power to pull Peter through the door, so he had to have killed him.

Caci said...

thank you for answering my questions...finallY! That makes sense about Candice being the one who gave him all his powers, but I just didn't know that was who Candice was. You know I am not good with names!!! I can't wait to watch it tonight!