Thursday, May 24, 2007

Help! I’ve Failed, and I Can’t Walk


I'm sure that most of you have heard about the big stink over the Texas seniors who have failed the TAKS test (sometimes more than once) and now are not going to be allowed to walk the stage with their class. Just so you know, I don't agree with the current implementation of the TAKS test system, but it is the rule right now. Therefore, although I feel bad for these kids that have waited all of their lives graduate, I cannot condone allowing them to walk the stage in mockery of the students that actually applied themselves and completed the requirements for graduation. It's disrespectful to the teachers, it's disrespectful to the students that are eligible to graduate, and it's completely inappropriate to say that you get to walk the stage just because you went to school. As far as I'm concerned, we might as well start letting juniors that don't want to wait another year walk the stage. Why not? They haven't earned the right either, they just want to.


Regardless of my feelings on the matter, I think the best part of the story is summed up in a picture that I found associated to a news article (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa070524_wz_taksprotest.6fe879b.html). Apparently, the students figured that the best way to get the administration to change their minds and allow them to walk is to stage a picket line. "It's how intelligent people protest. It works for unions. It works for GreenPeace. Surely it will work for us," they must have thought. I can't really imagine why the administration has not been swayed when they see the intelligent arguments presented in black and white on the picket signs. I mean check this picture out and tell me if you could in good conscience say that this person doesn't deserve to graduate:




Now let the comments roll in!

3 comments:

Newman said...

The other side of the sign must say "I are edumacated!"

Lawd have mercy.

:::shaking my head:::

Caci said...

this is hilarious! the one holding the sign should be glad we can't see her face!

Windy Smith said...

what is an are kid? LOL