Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Homecoming

It didn’t quite live up to the hype, but who really expected it to? Television advertisements and previews tend to be so misleading that I hardly ever pay much attention to them. So, I was not surprised that we never really found out what “Save cheerleader. Save the world,” is really all about despite all the ads that promised that revelation. Regardless, the episode was still pretty solid. Highlight below to see my comments and thoughts:

The boy in Mohinder’s dreams is supposed to be a spirit guide of some sort. What does that mean? I guess it means that he can communicate with the dead rather than that he’s met Sylar. I suppose that’s good on one hand, but on the other it seems a little cheesy to me. And his dialog was rather stilted. I’m happy that Mohinder found the list and that he’s getting back in the game; I just wish that they hadn’t made it such a corny set of events to get him there.

Of course, I also wonder about the man that was trying to talk Mohinder out of seeing the boy. Why is he so bent on keeping Mohinder from continuing his father’s research? Based on the dream sequence that Mohinder had near the end of the episode, his dad saw the same boy and had the same conversations with the same man. If I were that man, I would start to think that either both father and son have the same genetic anomaly that’s making them crazy, or that there really is a boy out there that can enter people’s dreams. On one hand, I’m seeking medical attention for them, and on the other, I’m trying to help. Why is he not doing either?

We know now, for sure, that Micah knows about Jessica. Previously, we got that impression, but this week he actually called her by name. Interesting. He even convinced D.L. to go back to help her. I wonder if they’ll ever make it. The final scene implied that Jessica actually shot D.L.

The meat of the episode was wrapped up in Claire’s story, though. We saw that Nathan really was lying to Peter about the painting and that he had actually purchased it from Mr. Linderman. Apparently, Nathan is protecting Peter, though, by not showing him the painting. I’m still not sure that Nathan is really a good guy. Of course, Simone came through and showed Peter the painting, or at least the digital photo of it since Nathan ruined the original, and Peter set off to save Claire.

I thought it was pretty interesting that Sylar didn’t know for sure who had powers and that he actually killed the wrong cheerleader. That tells me that he doesn’t have any kind of super-hero radar, he’s just working from a list. Probably the same list that Chandra generated and that Mohinder stumbled onto at the end of the episode. I really hoped that Peter would use Sylar’s powers against him, but I guess Peter’s not ready for that yet. I did think that it was cool that Peter got to use Claire’s power to heal himself, though.

Sylar seemed to get away, though, until he ran into Eden and the Haitian in the woods. Which, by the way, don’t really exist in Odessa, TX. It was pretty cool to see Eden use her power, and now, Mr. Bennett has Sylar. Can he keep him, though? It should be interesting.

Nathan will probably have to fly out there to bail Peter out of jail, and Hiro is already there. Of course, Matt will come out to investigate the murder that fits Sylar’s M.O., and he’ll figure out that Peter is like him. I can see them really starting to come together in the next couple of episodes.

I noticed a couple of other little items, too. One, a Battlestar Galactica t-shirt. It has nothing to do with the show, just kind of fun product placement and a free ad for NBC’s SciFi channel series. By the way, if you are not watching BSG, you are missing out on the best series on television. Heroes is nothing by comparison. Two, the new painting from Isaac. In the brief glimpse that we got, it appears to be a man on fire, but not on fire like he’s being consumed, more like he’s a human torch. This could be a hero that we haven’t met yet, but I’m guessing right now that it’s Ted (nuclear man).


Let me know what you thought.

4 comments:

Caci said...

I was definitely not as impressed as I had hoped to be, but it could have had to do with the fact that I was despereately needing sleep after the events of this past weekend. I was intrigued by the fact that Sylar got the wrong cheerleader....Peter was out to save her also until Claire ran to him for help. Missed the BSG t-shirt and have never seen the show. Sounds boring to me. I think Nathan is a jerk and a bad guy. I wonder where in Odessa Hiro is, and I hope DL is ok.

Melissa said...

Did anyone see from the list that there is a hero in Shreveport? I love Tivo!
I was surprised that Sylar didn't have some sort of special radar to detect which cheerleader was the right one either. I'm not sure I agree with him having a list, because a list would have a name and he would have known he had the wrong girl. I think he was going on the newspaper article about the fire.
As for Claire using her powers to save Peter, that was cool!
I have to say that next week's trailer looked pretty cool. It gives us an idea on how things happened. For instance, we know now how Matt Parkman got picked up and taken (by Eden) when he thought he was making a routine traffic stop. Or that Jessica is an actual twin to Nikki that died early in life.
I have a few more things....but I have to go pick Peyton up from school, so I'll write more later.

Michael said...

Good catch, Mel. I didn't notice any heroes from Shreveport, but I'll rewatch to catch it.

Windy Smith said...

I liked the show over all. I was hoping that they would have showed more but they did go into more of the story line especially with Mohinder
and Sylar and Claire. Eden power is pretty awesome and I really like how Mr Bennet told her to NEUTRALIZE him!!! I was really intrigued by that. Well I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!!