Friday, September 29, 2006

Mexican Food….In Oregon?

My flight in yesterday was fairly uneventful. I checked my bags so that I wouldn't be able to blow up the plane with shaving cream, hair gel or toothpaste. Never mind that they let me take my laptop, PSP, cell phone, GPS unit, and digital camera on the plane with me. I mean, really, could any of those be explosive, or better yet, trigger an explosive device? I don't know. I just don't feel any safer knowing that the guy next to me wasn't allowed to bring deodorant on the plane.

Anyway, the flight was smooth. It's just long. Then after I got off the plane, I drove from Portland to Bend. Which was just about as long again but in a car. At least I didn't have some guy with no deodorant sitting next to me. The drive was nice, but you get out of the mountains fairly quickly and the Eastern part of Oregon is really pretty flat and featureless. It's very much like the plains.

Today, I went to visit our client in Redmond (yes, they have one in Oregon, too, Dad), and I took some of them out to lunch. They all wanted to go eat Mexican, and I agreed. It wasn't like any Mexican restaurant that I've ever been to before, though.

They brought out tortilla chips and salsa like anywhere else, but they really messed me up with the menu. The first page was all about hamburgers. Every which way you could get one made, but none of them really had much Mexican flair. The next page was all about pasta. It was like an excerpt from an Olive Garden menu. After that was seafood. What kind of Mexican place is this? Finally, on the back page they give you a choice between burritos, tacos and fajitas.

I've never really been to a Mexican restaurant that didn't specialize in Mexican food, but I've also never been one to where the wait staff didn't speak Spanish. Oh well, it's interesting up here in Oregon.

After all that, I headed out in the car again to see Aunt Sis in Springfield. I'm actually at her house now, but she's not home from work yet. On my way over, I got back into the mountains and saw some beautiful scenery. It was kind of tough to take decent pictures while driving 70 down a two lane road with no shoulder (hence the reason I couldn't stop to get a good pic), but I gave it my best. Enjoy my first few photos from this trip below.


Friday, September 29, 2006


1 comment:

Caci said...

The Mexican food in that part of the country is definitely NOT Tex-Mex either. It has a different flavor and is not as good, to me, but it is said to be "real Mexican food". We always ate at a restaurant called Azteca. Also, at several Mexican restaurants up there we were only given ONE basket of FREE chips, the subsequent baskets would cost $1.25! We had never heard of such!
And, in closing I totally agree with you on the whole taking your laptop, cell phone, PDA on the plane. What's up with that? It doesn't seem all that safe to me....and neither does no deo for your B.O.!!!