Monday, July 17, 2006

Lukcy Update

So, Lucky stayed at an overnight clinic last Wednesday night and then spent all day with the vet on Thursday. Since he came home Thursday evening, he has not had any more seizures. He also not been himself, though.

He's getting a little better. At first he still acted as if he didn't know us. He paced the house non-stop and ran away when any of us got near. He wasn't interested in socializing at all which is very abnormal for Lucky. Additionally, he seemed to have forgotten the difference between inside and outside, creating a couple of messes for us to clean. Leah and I decided that we would give it through the weekend to see if he got back closer to normal.

As the weekend progressed he steadily improved, and last night he was trying to climb into my lap (like normal) to get some attention. He's also started responding to commands that he used to know like sit, down, kennel, etc. There are still a few things that concern me, though. I'm not convinced that he knows to do his business outside, he doesn't wag his tail (or even move it) anymore, he's still not interested in playing with his ball, and he doesn't make any vocalizations.

Previously, Lucky would whine when you didn't pay him enough attention, and he would bark like crazy when people walked behind our house on the trail. I haven't heard him make any noise for over a week now, and he doesn't seem to be at all concerned with strangers walking behind the house. Honestly, it concerns me that he's not barking, but it's also a relief that I don't have to listen to it.

Also, you could tell before when Lucky was losing interest in playing because he would stop holding his tail high, and of course, if he saw you from across the room he'd beat a hole in the wall with his wagging tail. Now he just carries it between his legs all the time.

Maybe it'll just take a few more days. We'll wait to see.

3 comments:

Caci said...

well, I am glad he is home and getting better. I also hope that he continues to return to normal. did you ask the vet about his lack of barking and wagging of the tail? if so, what did they say about it?

Michael said...

I haven't called the vet yet. We decided to keep waiting since things seem to be getting better each day.

He actually started whining late last night (about 10:30pm), and when I got him out he was wagging his tail. He even tried to get me to play ball in the yard when I took him outside, but that didn't last long because I was ready to go to sleep.

Each day seems to be an improvement.

Caci said...

that is good news!