Thursday, April 13, 2006

Century Oak

You knew that I was going to figure out a way to get more A&M icons on this site. Just so you all know, the picture in my header now is a shot from under the Century Oak that I'm borrowing from the Texas A&M website. I don't know the person sitting on the bench, but it looks to me like they are pondering some profound bit of wisdom posted on the Michael Musings blog.

Seriously, that is the same bench where Leah sat when I proposed to her. According to tradition, marriages that are started under this tree will last as long as a the tree has. Over ten years later I'd say...so far, so good.

From the Texas A&M website:
"The Century Oak, located in the heart of campus near the Academic Building, is a place many Aggies choose to propose marriage. Well more than 100 years of age, the tree, a live oak, was one of the first trees planted on Texas A&M’s massive 5,200-acre campus. In addition to the historic oak, there are between 25,000 to 30,000 trees on Texas A&M land, which occupies much of Brazos County. They include such types as the Kentucky Coffee, the Jerusalem Thorn, the Western Soapberry, the Kawakami Pear, the Chinese Pistache, the Carolina Laurel and the Afghan Pine. Complementing the trees, some 150,000 plants are grown each year to beautify the campus. "

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That's pretty cool. I've been trying to figure out how to add a big pic like that one on my sight. Jimmy is going to show me once I figure out what pic I want and how I want it to look.

Michael said...

I'm sure Jimmy can show you how. It wasn't too hard. I just had to dig around in the style sheet and find the place where their header pic was referenced and change it to the pic I wanted. The hardest part was figuring out the placement of my blog title so that it didn't end up in the leaves or over the student.

Caci said...

It is cool for you to share a pic with us of the place you proposed to Leah. What a good memory. It is beautiful.

Melissa said...

This blog entry looks familiar. Have I seen it before? Oh yeah, it's been there for a week now!

Michael said...

I know, I know.

I'm working a new "Remember when..." post that you're going to love.

Melissa said...

It better be worth the wait! :)

Caci said...

well, I guess you didn't care for my remember when entry about the foods we ate growing up, but then again you haven't commented on anything I have posted have you? Oh, maybe one. I think I will just pretend you aren't really my brother....oh wait that's a great remember when....remember when Mom and Dad found Michael on the front porch and told us he had always been in the family?